Monday, November 7, 2011

Christian Self-Control

Every athlete exercises self-control in all things. They do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable. So I do not run aimlessly; I do not box as one beating the air. But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified. (1 Corinthians 9:25-27 ESV)




But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.
(Galatians 5:22-23 ESV)

We have all probably watched the Olympics at one point or another. We have seen the chiseled bodies, and heard of the rigorous eating and exercising routines these Olympic hopefuls endure to receive a crown. Why do they do it? Well I would imagine it is for personal glory. So they can be called the best, or their country will be called the best. It is about winning. Paul noted in his letter to the Corinthians, that these Olympians of his day did it for a perishable wreath, the symbol of winning.

I pondered a while ago what the difference between self-control was, and Christian self-control. There are people around me that are not Christians, that seem way more self-controlled than me; especially in the realm of eating. And if self-control is a fruit of the Spirit, and a non-Christian does not have the Spirit; how can they have more self-control than me?

Here is my answer. Christian self-control (the fruit, or evidence of the Spirit) is driven by two motives that the non-Christain does not have. First, the self-control of the Spirit is motivated by obedience to the Word of God. And secondly, the self-control of the Spirit is motivated by the glory of God. The Olympian does not restrain himself so vigorously to the commands of Scripture. And the Olympian does not restrain himself for God's glory, he does it for his own glory. I know this because all of humanity seeks to be the sole master of his own kingdom. It is called Autonomy. All people are slaves to themselves unless Jesus breaks their chains.

I mentioned in an earlier post that the Christian is to be a weed puller. I am to strive to pull the weeds of self-indulgence or unconstraint from around the fruit the Spirit planted in my heart so that the fruit of self-control will flourish and spread throughout every part of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment